You did read my last post right, the one with all the rambling? If not, go do it first!
Assuming you did, allow me to present my humble opening work on my Red Corsairs.
I purchased a box of the most recent iteration of the Space Marine Tactical Marines, breathed in deeply and got to experimenting…
First thing to say, I love how clean and sharp the details are on this kit, a good mix of standardised Imperial-issue MkVI and MkVII pieces. There are a couple neat alternatives too like the pair of MkIV legs as well as a prestigious MkVIII chest piece for the sergeant.
Second thing, the Bolters now have the trigger hand attached to the gun – very handy (excuse the pun) for the assembling, converting and painting stages.
Last point, the legs and arms have differing poses! The former aren’t as crouched and squat as they used to be, whereas the latter offer a more interesting variety of firearm poses (relaxed, across chest, aiming down barrel etc.)
The first changes to note are to the Bolter, replacing the standard clip with a more archaic belt-feed and a tassel for the butt of the trigger – both from the (sadly-dated looking) Chaos Space Marines kit.
The second as you can see from the top of the legs are some simple plasticard spacers. I ummed and ahhed for a long time deciding whether to “truescale” or not – in the end the aforementioned spacers in the legs as well as the torsos which will be stuck on higher up than normal is my compromise – taller for the effort but not a massive amount of work needed.
The third and most interesting change is thus – one of the main aspects of the official Huron Blackheart model I love is the armour. Not the profusion of baroque trim, but just how cracked and ill-repaired it is. This is a design aspect I wanted to appropriate for my Red Corsairs.
As for this model, there was originally a purity seal on the leg, which was swiftly yet carefully removed with the knife. After that, I shaved off a little more plastic so that the cracked armour I would be sculpting back in would be flush with the rest of the leg. For a first attempt, I’m pleased with it.
Next up in the pipeline for Corsair no. 1 will be some more cracked armour and perhaps a subtle bit of baroque trim to help emphasise his allegiances.
Last thing to say about him before I move on, as part of the background I’m slowly developing in my head – each Red Corsair will of originated from a Space Marine chapter – so any suggestions for which chapter and most importantly why he he turned renegade would be much appreciated! Way in the future when these guys will get some paint, the left shoulder pad will retain the insignia of their former chapter (plus a big red saltine through it!).
Now I’ve explained some of the design concepts I was trying to show in Corsair number 1, let’s move on to Corsair no. 2!
In my search for useful bitz for the project, I found a handful of leftover MkIII parts from a previous project (I believe I bought them for Plague Marine conversions originally) – I found some unused torsos, helmets and the odd salvageable shoulder pad or arm. Red Corsairs are nothing if not notorious for their close-range boarding actions, so these MkIII bitz will be very useful!
In my mind, Corsair no.2 is likely to previously been an Imperial Fist – although if anyone has a suggestion for another chapter likely to still use and maintain MkIII armour, please let me know in the comments!
Finishing off this post with a close-up of the broken armour. In my next pass with putty, I’ll likely try to add some exposed power cables underneath through the cracks and tears.
I’m going to leave it here for today, I’d love to hear your thoughts and suggestions for chapters.