Painting has begun!
Reds are the only thing that have been completed so far.
The recipe for that is as follows;
- Basecoat Mephiston Red
- Highlight by adding increasing amounts of Troll Slayer Orange to the basecoat colour (up til pure orange for final highlights)
- Tidy up highlights with glaze of Mephiston Red.
- Shade by adding increasing amounts of Rhinox Hide to the basecoat colour (up til nearly pure brown for deepest shades).
- Edge highlights with pure Troll Slayer Orange.
- Sponge on Rhinox Hide (particularly on hard edges and damaged parts of armour).
- Glaze all red sections with an even mix of Lamenters Yellow (GW Technical) and Tamiya Clear Orange).
Fairly simple in my books. Putting on the final glaze is incredibly satisfying to me, shame it doesn’t dry with the same glossiness it starts off with.
I received some MkIII “Iron” Armour in the post today, and swiftly added a few components from the kit to a model I build one night;
Built an Aspiring Champion for the beginnings of a second squad of Chaos Marines. I was heavily inspired by an illustration in Black Crusade;
For this second squad, I’m thinking Iron Warrior outcasts with a dirty iron and red colour scheme, with red and black chevrons. I have some background inklings in my head which I need to write up first. Does the Shattered sound like a good minor warband name?
Now to start building the rest of these gorgeous MkIII plastics!
Painting has commenced!
The only parts that have been done are the red and the desecrated shoulder pad. The rest has only been blocked in to get an overall idea of the finished project.
*shudders thinking about painting checkers on a rounded surface…*
By coincidence, the Black Library have also announced a new novel called Tyrant of the Hollow Worlds;
*drops to knees and thanks whoever made this happen*
The cover artwork has given me some ideas for both painting and sculpting for future models in this project.
Back to working on the Red Corsairs!
I’ve commenced working on these again due to reasons such as the re-released Kill Team rules, the rumours of “upcoming Thousands Sons” as well as those lovely newly-released MkIII Iron Armour models in Burning of Prospero.
Anyway, the first five have finally had all their sculpting, kit bashing and cleaning up done and have been primed;
+++pict of Traitor Astartes (warband designation: “Red Corsairs”) incoming+++
Guns and backpacks are being primed and painted seperataly, hence not in the photos.
Now onto the basecoats!
Spurred on by the looming deadline that is a local Malifaux tournament (Octoberfaux) this coming Saturday – I’ve been grinding out the painting to get half-finished stuff done in time. I may be subpar at the game, but at least I can try and claw some painting recognition out of it!
The Punk Zombies have been near-completion for a long time now – mostly just tidying up the previous pairing work as well as transferring them to new bases. Painting dirty blood splatters is fun!
The Drowned on the other hand are somewhat more recent additions and some of my favourite Malifaux sculpts to boot! (the fat one is my favourite of them!)
I’m aware that I’m long overdue getting a lightbox to take decent pictures with, so any suggestions for me based on the UK here would be grand.
For fun, I’m going to start a running tally of what I’ve got done for Malifaux;
Ressurectionists: 39ss / 6 models
Outcasts: 8ss / 1 model
I wasn’t going to post this yet because I wanted to get a few more models done. However, Sue is the odd one out in my current Malifaux collection due to being an Outcast Mercenary, rather than one of the legion of Ressurectionists I have on the painting table!
More the man in grey-green and grey-blue than the “man in black” moniker he is inspired by – but I like him as he is now. Painting lots of black is pretty boring anyway!
I’m planning for my next post whenever is to have a handful of Ressurectionists minions done to go with Molly (as she is practically finished!)
I am also due for another game tomorrow, as well as me (foolishly) signing up for a Malifaux tournament next month.
Back on the painting front, started putting the brush to some models featured in recent posts.
Sue, who you saw converted two posts ago with some Through the Breach plastics, got some attention;
His cloak will be black, to live up to his moniker!
The green-grey was fun to do, I will make sure to write the recipe down!
Also, the other two Drowned have been started on as well;
I’m looking forward to doing the rusty anchors and chains soon!
I’m trying to keep these little updates frequent, even though I got my hands on the much anticipated Bioshock Collection. I’m playing it for inspiration, yes that sounds like a good enough excuse….. 👍🏻
(It’s also Batman Day too!)
I put down the paintbrushes to do some sculpting and base-making again;
The left one is me adding new a bit more to Raethford from my last post (mostly bulking out the face and adding back the goggle strap – fiddly!)
The right one is my start on a Maniacal Necromancer, an NPC from the Resser-heavy Under Quarantine supplement for Through the Breach. This guy;
There’s a story in the bestiary that links all the sample monsters and NPCs, this guys is quite amusing as he is an obnoxious Swedish Necromancer who wears eyeliner…
I’ve also got my hands on the University of Transmortis set and that’s all been assembled and based up;
See you next time!