Hobby Time: Punk Zombies and The Drowned [Malifaux Resurrectionists Minions]

Spurred on by the looming deadline that is a local Malifaux tournament (Octoberfaux) this coming Saturday – I’ve been grinding out the painting to get half-finished stuff done in time. I may be subpar at the game, but at least I can try and claw some painting recognition out of it!

The Punk Zombies have been near-completion for a long time now – mostly just tidying up the previous pairing work as well as transferring them to new bases. Painting dirty blood splatters is fun!


The Drowned on the other hand are somewhat more recent additions and some of my favourite Malifaux sculpts to boot! (the fat one is my favourite of them!)

I’m aware that I’m long overdue getting a lightbox to take decent pictures with, so any suggestions for me based on the UK here would be grand.

For fun, I’m going to start a running tally of what I’ve got done for Malifaux;

Ressurectionists: 39ss / 6 models

Outcasts: 8ss / 1 model

Advertisements

Hobby Time: Sue, the Man in Black (WIP Part 1)

Back on the painting front, started putting the brush to some models featured in recent posts.

Sue, who you saw converted two posts ago with some Through the Breach plastics, got some attention;


His cloak will be black, to live up to his moniker!

The green-grey was fun to do, I will make sure to write the recipe down!

Also, the other two Drowned have been started on as well;


I’m looking forward to doing the rusty anchors and chains soon!

I’m trying to keep these little updates frequent, even though I got my hands on the much anticipated Bioshock Collection. I’m playing it for inspiration, yes that sounds like a good enough excuse….. 👍🏻

(It’s also Batman Day too!)

Hobby Time: Molly Squidpiddge [WIP Part I]

Continuing on from my last post on painting that Drowned fella, I though I’d make a head start on another model to see how the skintones would work on a skinnier model (less physical space to blend, so can be harder!)

Enter Molly;


Aside from the awkward position of the arm extending it making the face hard to acces with a paintbrush, not too difficult to pull off a similar look which I’m happy with.

The purple magic effects I’m OK with. My white is quite watery so it’s hard to get decent coverage for these reverser lighting effects. When I’ve painting the dress (in a nice dirty yellow) I can add some purple reflecting of her to further accentuate the glowing magical effects.

In gaming news, I attended part of the Southampton Sluggaz 24 hour charity event. I got a few games and demos in which was great! I tried out Deadzone and Devil’s Run: Route 666 as well as a couple of Malifaux in as well (I’m getting a little better at it as I work how what crew compositions and tactics to use).

I was even given some Devil’s Run bits as well on the day;


Perhaps yet another game to try in the future? I did love playing the Mad Max (2015) console game so this looks to be possibly a good way to recreate that.

More musings for the future I suppose!

Hobby Time: Malifaux Cobblestone Basing

To absolutely no-one’s surprise, I’ve jumped ship to another previous project – Malifaux!


I’m sure I could make a joke about it currently being around 3am as I type and doing a post about undead “ladies of the night”. 🤔

In short, I picked up some reinforcements for my struggling Molly crew. In the half-dozen or so Malifaux games I’ve played since I started Circus of Paint, it turns out I’m not just very good at it! That may of come down to not picking a Master first and trying to beat match one to whatever Minions and Henchman I already had (Toshiro the Daiymo & Punk Zombies, Necropunks…).


Anyway, I wanted to get back into the game for an upcoming 24-hour charity event at my local club, so naturally had to buy more suitable Minions for best synergy with Molly. I picked up some Rotten Belles, Dead Doxies and (not pictured) The Drowned.

Bases were done with Green Stuff for a change instead of Milliput – I was inspired by some I saw on the Wyrd forums. It holds details a lot better which is always handy!

At least these models weren’t too bad to assemble – I used to own a set of Rotten Belles when the plastics first released but I wasn’t prepared for how tiny and fiddly they were! Second time around, so much easier! Dead Doxies were a little tougher (I lost an arm but found it by accident the next day) but nothing as teeth-gnashingly frustrating as the Necrotic Machine. I spent several hours badly trying to keep together that stupid spindly model before I gave up and chucked the whole model in the bin. It was only a minor Totem model anyway!

Til next time!